The successful runners will be raising money for Manchester United Foundation – the charity set up by Man Utd. Manchester United Foundation uses football to engage and inspire young people to build a better life for themselves and unite the communities in which they live. Dedicated staff deliver football coaching, educational programmes and personal development, providing young people with opportunities to change their lives for the better.
But we’re not just looking for any Man Utd fans. We’re looking for fans who can answer YES to these two questions:
- Are you prepared to put in the training needed to be able to cover 26.2 miles on 23 April 2017?
- Are you prepared to fundraise as hard as you can (and try and raise at least £500) for Manchester United Foundation using Virgin Money Giving?
Plus, if you’re willing to share your Marathon story on social media or by participating in promotional events we organise, we want to hear from you. And if you have a personal connection to Manchester United Foundation – perhaps you or a friend or family member have been supported by the Foundation – even better.
We want your passion, your dedication and your determination.
We know these are big asks, so in return we promise:
- Man United expertise – reach the start line in peak condition with access to the AON Training complex and some of the best fitness coaches in the world.
- Fundraising support from Virgin Money Giving – get dedicated help with all things fundraising. Reach your fundraising target – and then smash it!
- Your best Marathon start – a Green Start. Get in the pre-race zone in the exclusive marquee, with a stretching area, plenty of runners’ fuel and its own loos – so no stressful queues. Oh, and it’s where the celebs start…
If this sounds like something you could commit to, read on and apply for your chance to be on the London Marathon start line next April.
Sign me up!
- Send us a video selfie telling us why you deserve to be one of the 15 runners. It just needs to be a short video (it doesn’t need Hollywood production values) where you tell us why you want to raise money for Manchester United Foundation and your love for the club. We’d also like to hear a bit about any fundraising you’ve done in the past, as well your running experience e.g. would this be your first marathon?
- Make it 3 minutes max and be as creative as you want to be. The entries will be reviewed by us and Man Utd and the best 15 will win a Marathon place.
- Get your film to us at email@example.com on Twitter @VirginMoney, tag Virgin Money UK on Facebook or post it on Instagram @VirginMoney
Terms and conditions
Terms and conditions
- Who can enter?
- All UK residents aged 18 or over at the date of entry
- Employees of Virgin Money cannot enter.
- Anyone directly connected to the Competition or operation of the Competition cannot enter
- When can you enter?
- The entry period will open at 09:00 on Monday 17 October 2016 and will close at 23:59 on 30 November 2016.
- How do you enter?
- Send a video to us telling us why you want a place at the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon and why you want to raise funds for Manchester United Foundation.
- Your video must be no more than 3 minutes long and should be sent to us via Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, or you can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (maximum file size 20MB via email – ideally send a link to a video on hosted on YouTube/Vimeo.)
- You can only enter once and cannot enter on behalf of anyone else.
- How will the winners be selected?
- All valid entries received within the entry period will be entered into the Competition and 15 winners will be chosen at our discretion from all qualifying entrants
- What is the Prize?
- One of fifteen places at the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon (“the Prize”).
- The Prize is subject to further terms and condition which will be confirmed when the Prize is awarded.
- The Prize is non-transferable.
- No cash alternative will be offered.
- How do you know if you have won?
- We will notify the winners by email or via the Social Media channel their video was submitted on 2 December 2016. Winners will need to respond to us before 12 December 2016 to confirm they can take up the Prize otherwise the winner will forfeit the Prize and we reserve the right to select an alternative winner.
- Winners will be required to raise funds for Manchester United Foundation through Virgin Money Giving. Winners can set up a fundraising page by visiting uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving
- What else do you need to know?
- Winners will be responsible for their own travel costs and accommodation.
- Your personal information will be used to administer the Competition.
- You may be asked but are not under an obligation to participate in non-paid publicity.
- The winners agree to allow Virgin Money to confirm their names and counties of residence to other entrants.
- You can request the winners’ names and counties of residence by sending a stamped addressed envelope to: MU Foundation Marathon Places, Virgin Money plc, Discovery House, Whiting Road, Norwich NR4 6EJ.
- You understand and agree that you are providing your information to us and not Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. By entering this Competition, you release Facebook, Twitter and Instagram from any action or claim arising out of the Competition. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding this Competition must be directed to us, not Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
- The Competition is subject to English law.
- Events may occur which render the Competition itself or the awarding of the Prize(s) impossible due to reasons beyond our control and, accordingly, we may in our absolute discretion vary or amend the Competition and you agree that no liability shall attach to us as a result thereof.
- Who is the promoter?
- We are Virgin Money plc.
- Our company number is 06952311.
- Our registered office is at Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 4PL.
- Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are not the promoters of this Competition. This Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or in association with, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Manchester United Foundation
Man Utd set up the Foundation to engage, inspire and unite young people in Manchester through the beautiful game. It does this through outreach work, mentoring, and education projects.
Over 17,000 young people have participated in the programme so far, and the Foundation is going from strength to strength. But it costs money to do the good it does in the city.
Because Virgin Money sponsors the London Marathon, we’re uniquely positioned to help. The Marathon is the single biggest one-day fundraising event in the world, and our fundraising website, Virgin Money Giving, is 100% not-for-profit – so we can help the Foundation raise as much as possible.
Virgin Money Giving
Virgin Money Giving is Virgin Money’s fundraising website. Because it’s 100% not-for-profit, more of your money goes where it’s needed most.
How it started
The idea to launch Virgin Money Giving came as a result of Virgin Money’s sponsorship of the London Marathon. We looked at how runners raise money, and it became clear there was a better way of doing things. One that would help people involved in all sorts of fundraising activities – and make everyone better off.
More for the Man Utd Foundation
Virgin Money Giving is passionate about helping fundraisers raise more. Since launch, it has helped charities raise over £450 million – and because it’s not-for-profit, an extra £15 million reached charities compared to using JustGiving.* By raising money with Virgin Money Giving, you’ll make sure Manchester United Foundation gets as much as possible from the money you raise.
*Figures based on a comparison of the cost of service and transaction costs of Virgin Money Giving with JustGiving, based on Virgin Money Giving’s fundraising total from its launch to 31.08.2016